Paul Frankel | Grants & Contracts Officer
30 South 2000 East, Rm 112
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Coordinates grant proposals and supports PharmD and PhD faculty investigators in funding opportunity identification and proposal development, writing and submission. Coordinates with PI departments for post-award management of multiple PI/interdisciplinary/departmental grants (e.g. Program Project, center grants).
- Assists the Executive Associate Dean for Research in identifying and disseminating funding opportunities based on specific areas of College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Center interests and initiatives
- Assists in identifying complementary research interests among faculty and in assembling teams to address multidisciplinary, interdepartmental and intercollegiate funding opportunities
- Participates directly in the preparation of complex research proposals, including participation in proposal writing meetings and development and execution of proposal timelines
- Leads and manages the proposal development process, working closely with faculty leaders at all stages, from strategizing the proposal’s fit to agency requirements to the final submission. Works closely with department and research team personnel to define assignments, monitor assignment completion, obtain required documents, and provide leadership to proposal submission. Directs and participates in application assembly
- Writes non-‐scientific sections of proposals, such as environment and resources based on input from faculty and research staff. Edits completed proposals as requested and as time allows. Consults with and advises faculty/teams on budget issues and writes detailed budget justifications based on input from faculty/research personnel
- Manages secure, online, private workspaces for collaborating investigators to share documents in development
- Serves as a college liaison with sponsors, Office of Sponsored Projects, department offices and partnering colleges/schools/institutions on grant matters, subcontracts, and other agreements
- Collaborates with PIs and department and OSP personnel to develop post-‐ award implementation plans. Assesses the progress of implementation plans and ensures compliance with sponsor and University of Utah requirements, including preparation and submission of required reports/non-‐competing renewals based on input from PI
- Collaborates with PIs to ensure close-‐out of grants/contracts administered through the Office of Research in the College of Pharmacy
- Maintains personal work management system for tracking tasks and follow up on actions to ensure timely completion of deadline-‐driven tasks and outcomes
- Works in a team environment supporting a myriad of pre-‐award activities and projects
- Ability and desire to complete pre-‐award and post-‐award Certificates of Achievement through the Research Administration Training Series
- May supervise Office of Research support personnel under direction of Executive Associate Dean for Research.
- Oversees reports pertaining to department/College funding for AACP and other entities.
Updated: March, 2016