You Han Bae
University of Utah
College of Pharmacy
421 Wakara Way, #315
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Education and Training:
- Ph.D., Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry,
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT, 1980
- B.s., Chemical Engineering,
Seoul National University
Our main research interests are as follows:
- Polymeric delivery systems for low molecular and macromolecular drugs and cells.
- Tumor pH targeting
- Oral delivery of genes, biologics and anticancer drugs
- Y.S. Choi, D.Y. Cho, H.-K. Lee, J.-K. Cho, D.H. Lee, Y.H. Bae, J.K. Lee, H.C. Kang, Enhanced cell survival of pH-sensitive bioenergetic nucleotide nanoparticles in energy/oxygen-depleted cells and their intranasal delivery for reduced brain infarction, Acta Biomaterialia, 2016, 41, 147-160.
- H. Suzuki, Y.H. Bae*, Evaluation of drug penetration with cationic micelles and their penetration mechanism in a novel in vitro tumor model, Biomaterials, 2016, 98, 120-130.
- Y. Matsumoto, J. Nichols, K. Toh, T. Nomoto, C. Horacio, Y. Miura, R.J. Christie, N. Yamada, T. Ogura, M.R. Kano, Y. Matsumura, N. Nishiyama, T. Yamasoba, Y.H. Bae*, K. Kataoka*, Tumor Vascular Bursts and Nanoparticle Extravasation: Implications for Cancer Nanocarrier Delivery, Nat. Nanotech. 2016, 11(6), 533-538.
- D. Stirland and Y.H. Bae, Analyzing spatiotemporal distribution of uniquely fluorescent nanoparticles in xenograft tumors, J. Controlled Release, 2016, 227, 38-44.
- S. Cho, H. Park, E.A. Jarboe, C.M. Peterson, Y.H. Bae, M. Janat-Amsbury, Design and characterization of bioengineered cancer-like stem cells, PLoS ONE, 2015 10(10), e0141172.
- J.-W. Choi, D. Kasala, S.-J. Jung, J.K. Hwang, S.-H. Lee, D. Kim, J. Hu, Y.H. Bae*, C.-O.Yun, Enhanced anti-tumor efficacy and safety profile of tumor microenvironment-responsive oncolytic adenovirus nanocomplex by systemic administration, Acta Biomatrialia, 2015, 28, 86-98.
- H. Park, S.Cho, M. Janat-Amsbury, Y.H. Bae, Enhanced thermogenic program by non-viral delivery of combinatory browning genes to treat diet-induced obesity, Biomaterials 2015, 73, 32-41.
- H. Cho, Y.J. Lee, Y. H. Bae, H.C. Kang, Synthetic polynucleotides as endosomolytic agents and bioenergy sources J. Control Release, 2015, 216, 30-36.
- D.L. Stirland, J.W. Nichols, E. Jarboe, M. Adelman, M. Dassel, M.-M. Janát-Amsbury, and Y.H. Bae, Uterine perfusion model for analyzing barriers to transport in fibroids, J. Control. Release, 2015, 214, 85-93.
- HC Kang, H. Cho, YH Bae, DNA polyplex as a combinatory drug carrier of doxorubicin and cisplatin: In vitro study. Mol. Pharm., 2015, 12(8), 2845-2857.
- H. Park, S. Cho, Y.H. Han, M. Janat-Amsbury, S. Boudina, Y.H. Bae*, Combinatotial gene construct and non-viral delivery for antiobesity in diet induced obese mice, J. Control. Release, 2015, 207, 154-162.
- J.W. Park, S.J. Kim, D.S. Kwag, S. Kim, J. Park, Y.H. Bae, E.S. Lee*, Multifunctional delivery systems for advanced oral uptake of peptide/protein drugs, Current Pharmaceutical Design, 2015, 21(22), 3097-3110.
- J.-W. Choi, S.-J. Jung, D. Kasala, J.K. Hwang, J. Hu, Y.H. Bae*, C.-O.Yun* pH-sensitive oncolytic adenovirus hybrid targeting acidic tumor microenvironment and angiogenesis, J. Control. Release, 2015, 205, 134-143.
- A. Arauchi, C.-H. Yang, Y.-E. Sun, S. Cho, E.A. Jarboe, C.M. Peterson, Y.H. Bae, T. Okano, and M.M. Janát-Amsbury*, An immunocompetent, orthotopic mouse model of epithelial ovarian cancer utilizing tissue engineered tumor cell sheets, Tissue Eng. Part C: Methods, 2015, 21(1), 23-34.
- S. Miura, H. Suzuki, Y.H. Bae*, A multilayered cell culture model for transport study in solid tumor: Evaluation of intratumoral distribution of polyethyleneimine based cationic micelles, Nano Today 2014, 9(6), 695-704.
- H.S. Hwang, J. Hu, K. Na, Y.H. Bae*, The role of polymeric endosomolytic agent in gene transfection: A comparative study of poly(L-lysine)s grafted with L-histidine analogue and poly(L-histidine), Biomacromol, 2014, 15(10), 3577-3586.
- H. Cho, Y.H. Bae, K.M. Huh*, H.C. Kang*, Bioreducible branched poly(ethyleneimine)s physically loaded with hydrophobic pheophorbide A: Preparation, characterization, and light-induced cytotoxicity, Macromol. Biosci. 2014, 14(10), 1483-1494.
- J. Nichols, Y.H. Bae*, EPR: Evidence and Fallacy, J. Control. Release, 2014, 190, 451-464
- H. Cho, Y.-Y. Cho, YH Bae, HC Kang*, Nucleotides as non-toxic endosomolytic agents in drug delivery, Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2014, 3, 1007-1014.
- D. Mishra, H.C. Kang, H. Cho, Y.H. Bae*, Dexamethasone-loaded reconstitutable charged polymeric (PLGA)n-b-bPEI micelles for enhanced nuclear delivery of gene therapeutics. Macromol. Biosci. 2014, 14, 831-841.
- Z. Khatun, Md Nurunnabi, K.J. Cho, Y. Byun, Y.H. Bae, Y.-K. Lee*, Oral absorption mechanism and anti-angiogenesis effect of taurocholic acid-linked heparin-docetaxel conjugates, J. Control. Release 2014, 177, 64-73
- K.S. Kim, W. Park, J. Hu, Y.H. Bae*, K. Na*, A cancer-recognizable MRI contrast agents using pH-responsive polymeric micelle, Biomaterials 2014, 35(1), 337-343.
- H. Yin, H.C. Kang, K.M. Huh, Y.H. Bae*, Effects of cholesterol incorporation on the physicochemical, colloidal, and biological characteristics of pH-sensitive AB2 miktoarm polymer-based polymersomes, Colloid and Surface B, 2014, 116C, 128-137.
- J. Hu, Y.H. Bae, pH-sensitive nanosystems, in V. Torchilin (Ed.) Smart Pharmaceutical Nanocarriers, Imperial College Press, 2016, pp. 49-81.
- D. Mishra, Y.H. Bae, H.C. Kang, Sulfonamide based polymer, Polymer Encyclopedia, Taylor & Francis, 2016, pp 7708-7725.
- M.M. Janat-Amsbury, Y.H. Bae, Nanotechnology in cancer, M.A. Rudek et al. (Eds.) Handbook of Anticancer Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics, Cancer Drug Discovery and Development, Springer, New York 2014.
- R. Mrsny, K. Park, Y.H. Bae, The missing components today and the new treatments tomorrow, in Y.H. Bae, R. Mrsny, K. Park (Eds.), Cancer Targeted Drug Delivery: Elusive Dream, Springer, 2013 pp. 689-707.
- J.W. Nichol, Y.H. Bae, Nanotechnology for cancer treatment: Possibilities and limitations, in Y.H. Bae, R. Mrsny, K. Park (Eds.) Cancer Targeted Drug Delivery: Elusive Dream, Springer, 2013, pp. 37-56.
- D. Stirland, J.W. Nichols, T.A. Denison, Y.H. Bae, Targeted drug delivery for cancer therapy, in K. Park (Ed.) Biomaterials for Cancer Therapeutics, Woodhead Publishing, 2013, pp 31-56.
- D.L. Stirland, Y.H. Bae, Targeted Drug Delivery in Oncology, in Y.Q. Shen (Ed.), Functional Polymer for Nanomedicine, Royal Society of Chemistry 2013, pp. 1-19.
- J. Nichols, L. Sun, Y.H. Bae, Drug delivery strategies for combatting multidrug resistance, in Yoon Yeo (Ed.), Nanoparticulate drug delivery systems: Strategies, Technologies, and Applications, Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013, pp. 241-260.
- H. Yin, Y.H. Bae, pH-triggered micelles, in Kratz, Senter, Steinhagen (Eds.), Drug Delivery in Oncology. From basic researches to cancer therapy, Wiley-VCH, 2011, pp. 1099-1131.
- Compositions and methods for bile acid particles (WO2016070082A1) (Application number: PCT/US2015/058375)