A Tradition Of Excellence
Working to be the best-that's the basis of a tradition that has led to the premier standing of the College. Of the more than 100 pharmacy schools in the country, the University of Utah College of Pharmacy has consistently ranked in the top five on the basis of research funding awarded by the National Institute of Health
Imagination and innovation-the core of that tradition-are hallmarks of the College's character.
1917: Pharmaceutical education in the Utah began as a department of pharmacy within the University's medical school.
1927: Funding was eliminated and the department was closed; students already enrolled were allowed to finish, the last two graduating in 1930.
1946: The present College of Pharmacy, giving the profession equal status with other University colleges, was established, largely through the efforts of the Utah Pharmaceutical Association.
1947: L. David Hiner, Ph.D., arrived as the College's first dean, serving as his own architect to transform the second and third floors of the old women's gymnasium into pharmacy space. The first laboratory benches and tables did not stand steady, students had to wait in line to use one of two balances, and bottles were so scarce that those from the previous laboratory had to be washed by the next class.
1949-50: The College achieved a Class "A" accreditation rating from the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education in "am incredibly short time," and the first class received the baccalaureate in pharmacy.
1953: The first Ph.D. degree was awarded.
1955-65: The four-year undergraduate curriculum was refined, a new, five-year baccalaureate program was developed, and physical facilities were remodeled. The Student Chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association and pharmaceutical fraternities were organized. By 1965, the faculty had grown from the original three (which included Ewart A. Swinyard, Ph.D., the College's second dean) to six, one of whom was only part time. The groundwork was laid for quality programs in professional and graduate education.
1965-75: L.S. Skaggs Hall on the University of Utah Health Sciences Center campus was dedicated and became pharmacy's home. The College created the Center for Human Toxicology and was instrumental in setting up the Utah Poison Control Center-important specialized facilities for drug-related research, education, and service.
1975-85: The Antiepileptic Drug Development Program began. Mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance facilities were added. Scientific investigation and graduate studies were emphasized. The Doctor of Pharmacy Program enhanced the clinical and professional experience components of the pharmacy program.
1985-95: The Center for Controlled Chemical Delivery was established. Continued growth was accommodated in the University's Research Park and, in 1994, some pharmacy programs moved into the new Biomedical Polymers Research Building.
A hope for the future is expansion of pharmacy facilities so that all segments of the College can be brought together in one building.
These past advancements have contributed to the long-term success of pharmacy graduates. The College is proud of the high graduation rate of its students, the progress of their careers, and the significant professional contributions they make to Utah, the Intermountain area, and the nation.