A Tradition Of Excellence
The University of Utah College of Pharmacy's focus on innovation and imagination is the basis of a tradition that has led the college to its premier standing. Of the 130+ pharmacy schools in the United States, the University of Utah College of Pharmacy has consistently ranked in the top ten pharmacy schools on the basis of research funding awarded by the National Institute of Health. We are proud of where we've been, and where we're going.
1917: Pharmaceutical education in the Utah began as a department of pharmacy within the University's medical school.
1927: Funding was eliminated and the department was closed; students already enrolled were allowed to finish, the last two graduating in 1930.
1946: The present College of Pharmacy, giving the profession equal status with other University colleges, was established, largely through the efforts of the Utah Pharmaceutical Association.
1947-70: L. David Hiner, Ph.D., arrived as the College's first Dean, serving as his own architect to transform the second and third floors of the old women's gymnasium into pharmacy space. The first laboratory benches and tables did not stand steady, students had to wait in line to use one of two balances, and bottles were so scarce that those from the previous laboratory had to be washed by the next class.
1949-50: The College achieved a Class "A" accreditation rating from the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education in "an incredibly short time," and the first class received the baccalaureate in pharmacy.
1953: The first Ph.D. degree from the University of Utah College of Pharmacy was awarded.
1955-65: The four-year undergraduate curriculum was refined, physical facilities were remodeled, and a new, five-year baccalaureate program was developed. The Student Chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association and pharmaceutical fraternities were organized. By 1965, the faculty had grown from the original three (which included Ewart A. Swinyard, Ph.D., the College's second dean) to six, one of whom was only part time. The groundwork was laid for quality programs in professional and graduate education.
1965-75: L.S. Skaggs Hall on the University of Utah Health Sciences Center campus was dedicated and became pharmacy's home. The College created the Center for Human Toxicology and was instrumental in setting up the Utah Poison Control Center-important specialized facilities for drug-related research, education, and service.
1970-76: Ewart A. Swinyard serves as the 2nd Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
1975-85: The Anticonvulsant Drug Development Program began. Mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance facilities were added. Scientific investigation and graduate studies were emphasized. The Doctor of Pharmacy Program enhanced the clinical and professional experience components of the pharmacy program.
1976-89: Harold H. Wolf serves as the 3rd Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
1985-95: The Center for Controlled Chemical Delivery was established. Continued growth was accommodated in the University's Research Park and, in 1994, some pharmacy programs moved into the new Biomedical Polymers Research Building.
1994-2009: John W. Mauger serves as the 4th Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
2002: The College of Pharmacy began the current PharmD program- An entry-level, four-year, Doctor of Pharmacy degree. Students could now choose between a PharmD degree, a Ph.D., or a concurrent enrollment pathway to acheive both. The University of Utah College of Pharmacy is one of the few colleges in the nation that offer this concurrent enrollment pathway.
2009: Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new L. S. Skaggs Jr. Research Building that will house all four departments and more under one roof.
2009-2013: Chris Ireland serves as the 5th Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
2016: The L. S. Skaggs Jr. Research Building was completed, adding onto the former L.S. Skaggs Hall. Together, they are the L. S. Skaggs Pharmacy Instiutute.
2017-Present: Randall Peterson becomes the 6th Dean of the College of Pharmacy.