Clinical Innovation Fellowship
This clinical fellowship is designed to provide graduates with the skills and experiences to excel in ambulatory care clinical practice, practice implementation/development, research/scholarship, and teaching/academia. Founded in 2020, this fellowship involves partnerships with the University of Utah College of Pharmacy, third-party payers, and private practice sectors to provide opportunities to provide innovative ambulatory care pharmacist services in novel settings.
Fellowship Length: 1 year (Summer to Summer)
Pre-Requisites: Completion of a PGY1 residency with experiences in the ambulatory care setting
Application Instructions: If interested, please email the fellowship directors and include a CV, letter of intent, and two letters of recommendation with one letter being from a residency director/supervisor.
Objectives (adaptable based on fellow’s interest)
Establish ambulatory care pharmacy services at a large multi-specialty clinic and through this gain experience in ambulatory care pharmacy and practice development/innovation.
Determine/describe the value of pharmacy services in the ambulatory care setting by collecting data before and during implementation of comprehensive medication management (CMM).
Gain competence in the four pillars of academia including scholarship and publication, ambulatory care practice, professional and community service, and teaching via course administration, lecture development and facilitation.
- Novel clinical practice development (~3 days/week)
- Longitudinal practice development experience at Westridge Clinic primary care (~1 day/week)
- Practice development toolkit development/maintenance
- Assess value of clinical pharmacy services (new or continued project)
- Submit at least 1 grant proposal
- Conduct 1 primary research project, concluding with poster and manuscript submission
- Give 1 state-level CE presentation
- Give 1 College of Pharmacy presentation on research project(s)
- Longitudinal small-group facilitator of pharmacy student laboratory course
- Deliver 3 College of Pharmacy lectures
- Westridge Clinic precepting of APPE students (continuous) + WRC rotation planning for student/resident (later in year)
- Participate in 2 meaningful development programs that correspond to one of the 4 pillars of academia. Examples include:
- AACP - Teacher Seminar
- Educational scholarship course
- Biostatistics course
- University professional development courses
- Leadership courses (eg, ABP, RLI)
- GRAs (grant writing)
- Other requirements
- Attend 1-2 national conferences
- Attend University of Utah Academy of Health Science Educators Symposium
- Leadership discussions with fellowship directors
- Create 2 national presentation submissions
- Complete 1-2 other small-scale projects
- Draft and submit a total of 3 different manuscript submissions
- Co-coursemaster/module leader experience (teaching administration)
- Participate on formal College committee
- Utah Pharmacy Association (UPhA) / Utah Society of Health-System Pharmacists (UHSP) service
- National organizational committees
- Precepting Maliheh and/or Midvale free clinics
- Student organization precepting