The final professional year consists of seven Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs) in a variety of pharmacy practices. The emphasis is becoming proficient in direct patient care and problem-solving skills. In addition, students complete a medical information retrieval clerkship as one of the required seven experiences.
APPE objectives, assignments, and evaluations are based on the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education Standards.
APPE Rotation Types
- Acute Care
- Advanced Community
- Advanced Health-Systems
- Ambulatory Care
- Select Pharmacy Experience (SPE)
- Elective – Any category except CIS
- One of the scheduled rotations during the IPPE or APPE year is required to be in a rural setting (see list of rural/underserved sites and potential housing partners)
They are each six weeks in length and require a minimum of 240 hours. The total clock hours required for all 7 APPE rotations is 1680 hours.
APPE 2023-2024 Schedule
|Block 1||Summer||5/22/2023 - 6/30/2023|
|Block 2||Summer||7/3/2023 - 8/11/2023|
|Block 3||Fall||8/14/2023 - 9/22/2023|
|Block 4||Fall||9/25/2023 - 11/03/2023|
|Block 5||Fall||11/6/2023 - 12/15/2023|
|Block 6||Spring||1/1/2024 - 2/9/2024|
|Block 7||Spring||2/12/2024 - 3/22/2024|
|Block 8||Spring||3/25/2024 - 5/3/2024|
Registering for APPE Classes
|Semester||Register for your rotations in:|
|Summer||Blocks 1, 2|
|Fall||Blocks 3, 4, 5|
|Spring||Blocks 6, 7, 8|
- Rotation names correspond to the name of the rotation in CORE ELMS
- You will only register for “APPE Elective” if the clerkship is not also available as a core clerkship
- If you are registering for the same course name more than once, register for different sections (Section 001, 002, etc.)
- If your rotation is with core faculty, register for the course under their name
- If your rotation is not with core faculty, register for the course listed under Krystal Moorman's name
Academic Year Calendar with registration deadlines.
Students receive a letter grade for each rotation. The grading rubric uses a five-point grading scale. An average of points received on the rubric will have the following grades:
|A||4.67 to 5.00|
|A-||4.34 to 4.66|
|B+||4.00 to 4.33|
|B||3.67 to 3.99|
|B-||3.34 to 3.66|
|C+||3.00 to 3.33|
Any grade less than a 3.00 (C+) is considered a failed rotation, requiring the student to repeat a clerkship in the same category.